Your Complete Guide to Looking Fabulous at 50
Are you 50, or fast approaching 50? Then it’s important to be aware of your new skincare needs.
Maintaining a youthful appearance all boils down to how well you take care of yourself. And that means treating your body and your skin right.
We’ve got the hottest skincare and beauty needs for 50, and beyond!
How Does Your Skin Age?
If you’re 50, you’re probably starting to notice deeper wrinkles and lines setting in, and you probably have some patches of grey in your hair as well. Unfortunately, repeated sun exposure over the years, smoking, diet, and genetics can all affect your appearance—and, in most cases, not in a good way.
As your skin ages, your cells don’t turn over as quickly, resulting in dull, dry, and lifeless skin. Collagen and elastin production also significantly decreases, causing sagging skin. Other signs of skin aging that happen in your 50s include:
Cheeks: You may start to notice fluid retention in your upper cheek area, and sagging in your lower cheek area.
Forehead: Horizontal lines start to settle in, and you may notice that your forehead sags.
Mouth/Lips: Vertical lines may begin to appear and deepen around your lips and mouth.
Eyes/Eyebrows: Your eyebrows may start to sag, causing eyelids to appear hooded and droopy.
Jawline: Your jawline may start to sag, creating the impression of jowls.
In addition to these things, you may also notice that your lines and wrinkles are more prominent, and are deepening into folds. This is because loss of estrogen affects your skin’s elasticity and plumpness. You might also start to notice bags under your eyes, and that your skin pigmentation is more uneven. That’s not all – your pores may appear larger, too, and your skin is probably dehydrated due to decreased sebum production.
It’s never too late to start taking care of your skin. But this means you’ll have to step up your skincare regimen.
Essential Skincare Tips for 50 and Beyond
Skincare is essential in your 50s, because that’s when sun damage really starts to show. Remember that your skin and body are different in your 50s, so you’ll probably have to change skincare products you’ve been using over the past few years.
- Use a gentle cream cleanser every morning and night. Stay away from cleansers that are drying.
- Daily moisturizers are a must for mature skin. Choose anti-aging skincare products that contain vitamin C, peptides, and antioxidants. Consider using facial oils, like argan oil, for added moisture.
- Use sunscreen. It’s never too late to start protecting your skin from harsh UV rays! Make sure to choose a daily moisturizer that contains an SPF 30 or higher. By using sunscreen, you’ll prevent even more skin damage from occurring.
- Because your skin doesn’t renew its cells as often as it used to, exfoliation is essential. Try to exfoliate your skin once or twice a week to remove dead skin cells and stimulate collagen production. Make sure to follow with an ultra-hydrating moisturizer.
- Did you know that retinoids increase collagen production, which helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles? The most effective retinoid creams usually require a prescription, so ask your dermatologist.
- Protect your hands. Be sure to also apply sunscreen to your hands to protect them from further damage. If your hands are already sun damaged, consider applying a glycolic acid or antioxidant product to your hands to help repair sun damage.
- Don’t smoke! Tobacco smoke contains toxins that can lead to premature aging and heavily wrinkles. More specifically, it leads to a dry complexion, loss of skin firmness, and leathery-looking skin. And if you’ve never smoked, then kudos to you!
How Does Your Body Age?
Your skin’s not the only thing that ages as you get older – your body does, too. As you grow older, your metabolism slows down by 2% per decade. You also lose more muscle tone and bone density. But it doesn’t stop there – you become more prone to stress and depression, and with those things, a lower libido. What’s more, your estrogen levels plummet because of menopause, causing hot flashes, night sweats, and other menopausal symptoms.
Here’s some tips on how to protect your body from the worst effects of aging:
- Get enough sleep. Did you know that people who get 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night actually live the longest? Sleep also prevents your body from aging prematurely. But if you’re going through menopause, then getting enough sleep might be tough. If you’re not getting enough sleep due to menopausal symptoms, then try taking a warm bath an hour before nodding off, and sleep in a cold room to nod off faster.
- Eat more salads. Dark green, leafy vegetables can prevent premature aging in its tracks. Why? Because they’re filled with loads of antioxidants, which combat free radicals and inflammation. Some of the best vegetables you can eat include Swiss chard, spinach, kale, dark lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage.
- Make sure to take a multivitamin every single day to ensure you’re getting proper nutrition. Make sure that your multivitamin covers a wide range of nutrients like zinc, iron, betacarotene, folic acid, and B vitamins, which all boost immune response in older people.
- Strength training. If you really want to jump start your metabolism, you should do strength training at least three times a week. Plus, strength training helps you increase your bone density, maintain balance, and avoid injury. Who wouldn’t want a tone, sleek body?
- Practicing mindfulness can help reduce your stress levels. Why is it so important to reduce stress? Because stress can leave to inflammation, increased blood pressure, less energy, lower libido, and faster cell death. Some mindfulness practices include yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises.
- Every woman in her 50s needs to make sure she’s getting enough calcium. Why? Because as you go through menopause, you’re more susceptible to osteoporosis, so it’s ultra-vital that you get enough calcium through your diet or supplements.
- Cardio is essential to maintaining a good figure! Plus, engaging in cardio exercise has loads of health benefits, like improved cholesterol, heart function, and muscle mass as well as reduced risk of osteoporosis. You should aim for 30 minutes of cardio every day.
Want to Look Your Best at 50?
If you need a little extra help looking your best, there’s two amazing med spa treatments that produce some powerful results for your body and your skin – Zerona and Thermage.
Greet your 50s with Zerona, a cutting-edge body contouring procedure that effectively removes excess fat without any negative side effects. It emulsifies fat, enabling patients to lose inches from their waist, hips, thighs, and stomach.
How does Zerona work? Zerona utilizes cold laser technology, which emulsifies fat and allows it to move to interstitial space. More specifically, the cold laser technology’s low-level laser stimulation exclusively releases the cellular contents of fat cells while leaving the capillaries and other cells within the interstitial space intact. By disrupting the cell’s membrane, the cell then releases its fat contents. Once the fat contents are released, the body’s lymphatic system absorbs it. Basically, Zerona procedures cause fat cells to shrink, resulting in a loss of inches on areas such as your waist and stomach.
Zerona treatments are so effective that most patients experience an average loss of 3.64 inches on their waist, hips, buttocks and thighs in a matter of weeks. Some patients even witness a nine inch circumferential reduction after their first series of treatments, and results can be seen in as little as fourteen days.
Thermage can mitigate the worst effects of aging. Thermage is a clinically-proven, unique radiofrequency treatment that can firm problem areas on the face and body. Best of all, only one treatment is needed, and results last up to ten years.
Thermage often seems to work magic, but the process is fairly simple. Thermage works from the inside out. It transfers heat to the epidermis, which not only encourages collagen production, but also tightens existing collagen. Thermage effects this partly through radiofrequency technology, which produces electrical currents that causes collagen within the skin to contract and gradually reform. This is why most individuals experience dramatic tightening and smoothing of the skin over the six months following treatment. Since the outer layers of the skin are unaffected, there is almost no recovery time involved.
You’ll need only one Thermage treatment to reap all the benefits of its innovative technology. During the several months following treatment, you’ll see dramatically tighter, firmer and smoother skin.
Make LaserAway a Part of Your Beauty Routine in Your 50s and Beyond
LaserAway is proud to offer the most medical spa service options of any national skincare provider. LaserAway hires only the most highly trained staff experienced and certified in administering laser and other dermatological procedures. What’s more, LaserAway uses only innovative techniques and cutting-edge laser technology. LaserAway aims to make your medical spa experience comfortable, enjoyable and satisfying. Want to learn more about VelaShape? Botox? Then schedule a free, no obligation consultation today by emailing LaserAway.net or calling the staff at LaserAway at (888) 965-2737. LaserAway looks forward to helping you turn back the clock.